Home / Administrative F.A.Q


What types of private loans are available?

All students are encouraged to do their own independent research for financial assistance in their home country that may be offered.

I live outside the European Union, what papers do I need to study at the Paris American Academy?

All foreigners staying in France on a long term basis are required to apply for, and be in possession of, a carte de séjour. This is a form of national identification which will identify you to authorities in case of misadventure or accident, and act as proof of your right to stay in the country. Most students who study a minimum of 20 hours per week at the Academy, (all those enrolled in full time courses), are entitled to receive the card provided diplomatic or other restrictions do not apply. If you need a carte de séjour you will be asked to fill out an application form during your first week at the school. You will need to submit both copies of your passport, three I. D. photos, proof of resources, school certificate, proof of residence and health insurance certificate. A member of the administration will take charge of these documents and present them to Police Prefecture for processing on your behalf. You will have to relinquish your passport, usually just for one night, while your application is processed. Your carte de séjour should then be available within a month, providing there are no difficulties with your application.

I am a former student, how can I request transcripts?

If you would like to have a copy of your transcripts sent to you or an institution, please complete the transcript request form and send it to us by fax, mail or email.  The cost to process each transcript request is 30 US dollars and includes the cost of air mail shipping, express shipping available at an additional cost.

How can I access banking services during my stay in Paris?

There may be times throughout your stay at the school that you will need access to money at relatively short notice. It can often take several days for money to reach you from your own country, and in case of emergency or unexpected expenses this may be too long. For this reason we recommend that you open a bank account in your own name in the country. France has a comprehensive automatic teller system and bank branches can be found in most city blocks. The Academy staff will be available to help you choose the best bank and account for your needs and sort through any language difficulties you may encounter. To open a bank account in France you must be able to prove your identity and that you have the intention of staying in the country for a relatively long period of time. The school can assist your efforts by providing you with proof of your enrollment. To start your account you will be required to make an appointment with the bank’s manager to present your documents and explain your circumstances. In the case of most students there are no difficulties and you will receive your account number and details within a few working days. However, when you leave France, please do not forget to close your account or make a change of address. Students with Master, Visa or American Express card accounts in their own countries will often be able to use their personal cards to withdraw money from French automatic tellers. Exchange rates may, however, be relatively poor and the machines provide no balance receipt of the remaining funds. Banks are usually open from 9am ‐ 4.30pm, closed Saturday and Sunday.

How will I receive packages / letters if I stay in a PAA apartment?

If you are housed by the Academy, regardless of the address of your lodging,
have all your mail addressed to you,

C/O Paris American Academy
275, rue St. Jacques
75005 Paris – Ffrance

All mail is distributed from this central point, and can be forwarded to you after you leave. Mail boxes in France are painted yellow. Letters posted at 9am often reach Paris destinations the same day.